Make Me a Static Website!

Tue, 09/15/2009 - 10:45 -- Erik Olson

"I just want a simple, static website."

OK. Why?

"I don't want to spend the extra money on a CMS. I don't have time to manage a site. I don't know HTML. I just want something quick."

OK.

I've had this conversation more than I'd like to admit over the last couple years. Luckily for me and them, very few people leave Freelock with an actual static website.

And heres why:

• I don't want to spend the extra money on a CMS

Good. We don't want you to either. A Drupal site has a higher initial investment, both in terms of cost and time. But spread out over 5 years (which is what I believe a website's engine should last), the cost significantly decreases. With a static website, you have not only the initial investment, but the cost of constantly updating content. We have several clients that spend over $1000 per year having us simply update content, all because:

• I don't have the time to manage a site

OK. Who is going to write the content to fill your static site? And the content updates when things change? And explain it to someone else so they can spend their time updating the site? If the answer is "me", then you have time. Using a CMS means you can update your site when you feel like it, how you'd like, and without spending anything except time doing so. But...:

• I don't know HTML

Well thats too bad. You could have made it big in the late 90's if you knew HTML. Today, HTML is generated behind the scenes. So if you understand how to use Microsoft Word or OpenOffice, then you can use Drupal. So fine, but what I really am thinking is:

• I just want something quick

I would recommend Drupal then. We have launched simple sites in a few hours, complex sites in a few days. The beauty of Drupal is that it allows us to work on content, look, menus, slideshows, and forms at the same time.

So OK, you got me. Now what does it cost?

And the dreaded answer that even I hate: It depends.

On what? Well, complexity, scope, content, look, functionality. The easiest way to think of it is a house. How much should a house cost? Well, it depends. It depends on what it looks like inside and out, the components needed, the arrival date of the custom ordered marble from Italy, and how many workers are needed to meet the schedule.

The bottom-line is this: Drupal speeds our development. Better blueprints also increase our speed. Our speed lessens your cost. You save money.

If you are interested in learning more, contact us today!

Comments

Submitted by aaronn (not verified) on

Well put!

One thing I'll add....and this is from experience:

Static pages make it too easy to not update content. Static pages = stagnant pages.

Submitted by Hi (not verified) on

The beauty of these blogging engines and CMS platforms is the lack of limitations and ease of manipulation that allows developers to implement rich content and skin the site in such a way that with very little effort one would never notice what it is making the site tick all without limiting content and effectiveness.
Honolulu Breast Implants

Submitted by Rukki Odds (not verified) on

I guess it is worth to mention that the managing of a CMS is just as easy as managing the static HTML page. And has some clear benefits - for example you do not need to bother about the menu and other standard components.

Submitted by priscilla (not verified) on

CMS website for me is cool. You can save money in updating your contents. You cannot need to be an programming expert to make a nice dynamic website. I tried other CMS in my paper writing service. I want to try also Drupal.

Submitted by Guest (not verified) on

i am a web designer and one i always hate is "So when do you think you'll be able to get the site material to me"

and more than often you'll get something like "well isnt it your job to do the web site"

ughh i cringe just thinking about it, i dont know anything about your company how am i supposed to fill a 5-10 page site with info about it

Submitted by JD (not verified) on

This is spot on Erik. Even for the smallest 1 man (or woman) operation a CMS based website is going to be the best option in the long haul. The old prejudices about CMS's being slow, complicated and needing technical knowledge are in fact the opposite of the truth, as you say. On a lighter note, have you checked out Clients From Hell - definitely some laughs in there for you!

Submitted by Johnnie Dice (not verified) on

Am i the only one here who prefers static websites?..lol. Don't get me wrong, i like Drupal as much as the next guy, but as long as my website is ranked i could care less if it's static or dynamic.

Johnnie Dice

Static websites are just as good as any other type of site. It just depends on how you use it. But with Wordpress blogs and Drupal becoming more easier to configure and edit, i can see why more and more people are moving away from old school static sites and moving to dynamic.

Victor

Submitted by Elisabeth Brittani (not verified) on

The "I don't have time to manage a site" part is at least awkward for me. As a publisher network manager, I know that there are several persons taking care of a website. And if we're talking at a smaller scale, let's just say that if you wanted to have a virtual place for yourself, you might as well clean the place from time to time.

I cannot believe that there are still people around who are facing this problem even today. The HTML is self generated these days. Nearly all tools do this for you and very well, i might add. Also, Drupal makes the thing very easy. But please do not go for static website. The static website is like a signboard and nothing more. A dynamic website lets you utilize the e-commerce potential for your business, which in most cases the entrepreneur does not even know that it exists.

Add new comment

1. I had the privilege of working with John and Freelock in launching a new Little League website. The process was flawless and the end product was magnificent exceeding our expectations. John knows his stuff! He had a wonderful ability to bring the perfect solution to our community based organization. Being volunteer run, we needed some special considerations in the way our website works, John understood this and delivered solutions that were perfect for us. We now have a cool website that also has the ability to grow with us into the future. I highly recommend John Locke and Freelock Computing.

Brian Boone
    Pacific Little League

Need More Freelock

About Freelock

We are located in Pioneer Square, in downtown Seattle. 83 Columbia Street #401 Seattle, WA 98104  USA [P] 206.577.0540 Contact Us/Directions | Site Map Get Updates ©1995-2014 Freelock Computing